Hello dear friends,
Today I present to you Bring your Own Blueberries or the Blueberry Oatmeal Bake!
My mom first made this recipe a few weeks ago and I swear I ate more than half of the pan… It is absolutely delicious! I wanted to substitute a few things in the recipe to present to my dietary restricted friends. The changes I have made will please the following: Vegan/vegetarian, gluten intolerant, people who have a few overripe bananas and people who have had the same bag of blueberries that they picked 2 years ago hidden deep down in the freezer ( to save for a rainy day or in this case, a delicious breakfast bake.)
Here is my take on this tasteful creation :
- 2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill Wheat-free rolled Oats (large flakes)
- 1 tsp baking powder (aluminum-free)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon ( plus extra to sprinkle on top)
- 1/2 tsp of fine grain Himalayan sea salt
- 2 cups of rice milk ( but you can use almond or coconut)
- 1 flax egg*
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp of vanilla ( I use the real stuff from Punta Cana)
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup ( Only the freshest from Canada, you hear me?)
- 2 ripe bananas, cut however you want it’ll be in your belly soon anyways
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh and/or frozen)
*1 flax egg= 1 tablespoon of freshly ground flax seeds (or ground chia seeds but this recipe looks better with flax) and 3 tablespoons of water, mix well and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or until it reaches a gel-like consistency.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, then turn up your favorite music.
- Grease an 8×8 pan with coconut oil or use tiny ramekins like these ^ that I got from Canadian Tire because they are adorable! Place a layer of bananas and sprinkle half of the blueberries on top.
- In a medium size bowl mix all dry ingredients together. Throw it on top of the banana-blueberry layer.
- Whisk wet ingredients together and pour it onto the oats.
- Sprinkle with the remaining blueberries and a little bit of cinnamon. Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until the top is golden and the mixture is set. Smother in maple syrup if that’s your thing … Serves best warm , trust me you wont have any left over to put in the fridge.