Happy belated thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians ! Originally I had planned to post this before the celebrations but I got a little side tracked. It’s fall, the leaves are changing and my priorities these days are to stay bundled up with a cup of coffee, make banana “ice-cream” and get myself to work in time . I started a project to compare different machines I’ve accumulated to see which one can take the heat (make the best nice cream) . Post to come soon, or when I get myself more ripe bananas. Let me tell you I have a favourite already.. *cough* and it’s not my expensive super powerful Vitamix *cough* .
I was looking in the pantry and saw an unfinished bag of gluten-free flour and thought “what could I make with this”. Pumpkin pie on my mind I rounded up ingredients to make a deliciously comforting treat. I’ve made these twice already, the first time following a recipe and the second changing everything! The recipe I was inspired by was this lovely recipe by smashed peas and carrots . I decided to go ahead and make a refined sugar-free and vegan version. Might I say the adapted version is adored by my at-home critics and work friends. The dangerous part about making mini muffins is that you can grab them, again and again. Even after making these a few times the recipe still needs adjustments because they come out undercooked and looking like actual pumpkin pie. Third time’s the charm, maybe ? If anyone tries it I would love to have some feedback!
Vegan, G-F Pumpkin Pie Muffins :
makes 36 mini muffins or 12 regular size muffins
For the pumpkin pie muffins:
- 1½ cups gluten free flour blend (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 baking mix)
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup of baked sweet potato, mixed well to avoid a chunky muffin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ cup Earth balance Spread , melted
- 1/4 cup maple flakes I purchased mine at Costco, keep in mind you might need to play with the flour-liquid ratio ( or maple syrup)
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 flax egg ( 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds + 3 Tbsp of water, let sit 15 minutes in fridge)
- ¼ cup Earth balance spread, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar or maple flakes
- *optional : 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the muffins until well combined.
- Grease a mini muffin tin with the earth balance spread and fill each ⅔ full.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. If your oven is like mine it will take a little longer.
- While the muffins are cooking, melt the spread in a bowl and place the sugar mixture on a plate or bowl to be able to dip and roll the muffins.
- When pumpkin donut muffins are done and still warm , dip the muffins in the melted butter and then in the sugar mixture !
- Most importantly enjoy warm and share.. or warm up the next day !
As always have a lovely day and get out and enjoy the weekend guys !
A perfect song for this fall weekend is the following from Vance Joy Fire and the Flood
Check out my last post to read up on my latest trip to Europe …
~ ♥ Lexa