Welcome to my slightly off , 12 days of holiday baking recipes. This one was supposed to be out yesterday but alas here it is!
On the first day of christmas the Food fairy made for me : A greek yogurt Tiramisu and a Tower of Cream Pisa!
I remember walking down the streets of florence with a local guide and being amazed by all the architecture and art so close to where the famous Michelangelo used to worked. It was incredible to see the marble Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore which was by far my favourite. As we proceeded through the streets we saw many cafes, bakeries and gelato shops and finished our tour off in a leather factory.
And then they said “Let there be rain”. So we found a cute little sweet shop and laid eyes on a magnificent piece of Tiramisu, when in florence… We looked a little lost not knowing where to pay but we managed and enjoyed the little bit of heaven. Let me tell you we were on an espresso high after that rainstorm.
*little tip: don’t make it at 2 am.
Cream puff tiramisu
Pate a choux (Cream puff) ingredients
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 4 eggs
You can simply use store bought ladyfingers as well which is what I used to make the cake.
Tiramisu cream layers
- 2 1/2 cups of greek yogurt
- 250 grams of mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tsp of vanilla
- 4 tablespoons of Kahlua (extra for soaking)
- 3 tsp of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)
- about 1/4 cup of strong coffee or espresso
- Preheat oven to 400º
- To make the cream puffs, place water and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add flour and stir until the dough forms a ball. Let cool 10-15 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and stir with wooden spoon
- Place in piping bag with a round tip or use two spoons to scoop the dough and make small mounds of about 2 tablespoons. place onto greased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden
- Let cool on wire rack
To make the cream layers
- Cream the yogurt and mascarpone in a stand mixer with whisk attachment and slowly add honey and vanilla.
- Take 1/3 of the mixture for the espresso layer. Combine the Kahlua, cocoa powder, cinnamon and about half of the espresso with the yogurt mascarpone mixture.
- Place the cream filling and the espresso layer in piping bags.
- With the remaining Kahlua and espresso ,soak the bottom half of the ladyfingers/ cream puff and place them in an 8×8 baking pan.
- Add a layer of the espresso and a cream layer.
- Repeat step 4 and 5 until you have used up all of your cookies/cream puffs.
Sprinkle cocoa powder on top, let it chill in the refrigerator overnight and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy this recipe and look forward to the next 11 days of holiday baking.
Warm holiday wishes ◊