It’s National π day!
Here’s a recipe for the math geniuses or the pie lovers you know.
Apple And Pear Pie ( recipe inspired by Mind body Green)
2 tsp of ground flaxseeds (make flax egg by adding water and letting it rest for 10 minutes)
1 tbsp of water
3 cups of walnut pieces
1/4 tsp of sea salt
1 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil
2 tbsp of maple syrup
For the apple & pear filing
2 Large apples (pink lady is the type I used) , Peeled and thinly sliced
1 large pear, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tbsp of maple syrup
3 tbsp of orange juice
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven at 350º. Grease a 9inch pie plate with coconut oil and set aside.
- To prepare the crust: place the walnuts in a food processor until it is well ground. Add the rest of the crust ingredients and pulse until combined.
- Press the crust in the pie plate and bake for 10 minutes. Depending on your oven, you might have to watch this closely since my crust burnt a little. Remove from oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- To prepare the apple & pear filing, whisk the maple syrup, juice and cinnamon. Coat the fruit in the mixture and seperate the two once they have been well coated. you want to keep the orange mixture to make a syrup later on.
- Place the slices on the crust. Bake for about 20 minutes, remove from the oven, cover with aluminum foil and bake for another 25 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- In a small saucepan, place reserved filling mixture on medium heat and let simmer. The mixture will be reduced and you’ll have a syrup to finish off the recipe.
- Enjoy! (P.s when you slice your pie pieces it will most likely come out like an apple crumble… but it’s the taste that counts!)
Share your treats, and if you make this recipe please tell me about it! Go find my facebook page and share my recipes!
As always enjoy your lovely day, here’s a song that is fitting for the weather since spring is almost here! Another Day by Ray Lamontagne.
Thank you for all your support,